November 17, 2011

MINI Cooper Quilts

In September, we brought my MINI Cooper to our dealer, Century MINI in Greenville, for servicing.

While waiting for the courtesy car to take us to the mall, I had a conversation with the manager about the art that was on display in the show room. He was very proud of the fact that the artwork, which were framed watercolors of MINIs and artful photos of MINI features, were done by customers. When I told him that I made quilts, he said that he would be interested in buying a small wall quilt to add to the collection.

I always like a challenge, so I told him I would see what I could come up with.

Here are my efforts:

The hexagon is called "MINI-go-round." I was able to find custom printed MINI Cooper fabric on-line which allowed me to use these nice fabric images in a creative way. Lots of the MINI Cooper literature makes use of the black and white racing flag motif. It measures about 14x16 inches.

This 12 inch square is called "MINI-malism," and was inspired by an illustration in one of the sales booklets. Again, I have used the racing flag motif. The image of the car is actually painted on the fabric. I think it gives a nice illusion.

I emailed these pictures to the manager and he will buy both of them!


He said they will have them framed, which I think is the proper way to display them in a public place.


How cool is that?!





2 comments:

  1. These are both really terrific designs! The black and white and red are powerfully graphic. Had you called yourself a professional quilter before this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those! How fun that you know someone is going to be displaying them for the world (mini cooper world) to see! LOL

    ReplyDelete