May 10, 2013

STRAWBERRIES!

We are happily into strawberry season here in North Carolina.

Well, technically, most of our "local" strawberries actually come from just over the border in South Carolina.  This time of year you see lots of makeshift roadside stands show up.  Usually there is a truck and a tarp and some kind of a table with buckets of strawberries for sale.  We bought our first container full last weekend, and we are down to the last few.


The buckets hold 3.75 quarts of berries.  I apologize for the fact that these berries are getting a little dull looking from spending the week in the refrigerator, but I have since cleaned and consumed some of them and they are still very tasty!

Several years ago I bought a hanging basket of strawberry plants at the Farmers Market.  Late in the summer, when I thought the plants were pretty much dead, I just set it in the garden and the plants sent out runners and now there is a corner of our garden (between the chives and the birdbath) that is overrun with healthy, blossoming strawberry plants!  We do harvest a berry or two from here when we notice them, but mostly the birds enjoy them.


Each year Quilt Guild members are invited to make a quilt block to be given to the outgoing president as a recognition for taking on the job of leadership for the year.  Last year's president requested "food related" blocks in primary colors.  Her goal is to make her quilt and donate it to MANNA, the local food pantry that distributes food to the needy in our area.  In addition to her work with the Asheville Quilt Guild, she also sits on the MANNA board.  Likely the quilt will decorate an office or conference room at MANNA headquarters.  

Inspired by strawberry season, I decided to put strawberries on my block.  Here it is:


It measures 9 inches, as all the blocks will measure 8 1/2 inches in the final quilt.  I modified a free motif that came my way this week in a blog from Lark Books.  I had to enlarge the motif by 3.5X and then added a third strawberry to help fill my space.  I stenciled the berries, leaves and blossom and used fabric paint on white cotton.  I then embroidered the stems, seeds, branch and major vein on each leaf and some highlights on the blossom. 

 I think it is a simple and sweet block for Janie's quilt!

1 comment:

  1. Those are all gorgeous strawberries - but you did a great job creating a lovely President's block!

    ReplyDelete