April 17, 2016

Biltmore Blooms... Tulips!

So, I am a week late in posting this. It was a week ago today, on 4/10, when we took a walk in the Biltmore gardens to see the tulips. It seems we often miss the tulip season and tend to visit when the azalea garden is in full bloom, but this year we timed it just right!
 Just so you know, it's not all tulips, here is a nice shot of the ground phlox which is also prolific this time of year. Oops! I see I have my hands holding my phone in the shadow on the walkway. Obviously I'm not a professional!

The gardens were full of thousands of tulips in waves of color.
 I love this view from the walled garden looking toward the house, especially when the sky is such a nice Carolina blue!
 But this visit the tulips were the stars. I have quite a few photos for you to see, so I will keep the chit chat to a minimum.

 I don't often include a personal photo in my blog, but I just had to pose with that nice background.


 I keep thinking that I won't see another daffodil until next spring (or late next winter), but here the daffodils were planted among the yellow tulips and they were still quite fresh!
 The border under the arbor was lined with these regal plum and white tulips.


 This is a view toward Mt. Pisgah, and you can see that the trees are just starting to get leaves.

 I took a selfie with the house in the background... just look at that sky!
 It's a little early for the wisteria, but right next to the house, a few were in bloom. We had actually had a light frost the night before and I thought the early blossoms on the wisteria looked a little shocked.
 We don't usually walk in the Italian garden, which has a promenade with several rather shallow pools. So I was intrigued by the rather large and colorful carp that live in the pools which have yet to develop much lily pad growth.

 In just a couple of weeks the tulips will be at their end and the azaleas will be the stars. Here's a nice early showing with a backdrop of flowering trees.
Perhaps I will get back to see the azaleas this spring. If I do, I probably will take some pictures!
I hope wherever you are, you are enjoying a colorful spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment