August 4, 2016

It's Not Just About the Legos!

The North Carolina Arboretum is indeed a local treasure!

Yesterday was a great day for mushrooms.
 This one reminded me of a teed up golf ball!




 I guess conditions were just right for these fungi to emerge!

And here's some bracket fungi on a dead tree.

And there was moss...
(I liked that speckled leaf!)

And some nice summer wild flowers along the trail.



I didn't really expect to see any azaleas in bloom in the azalea repository, but I was pleasantly surprised with a few showy bushes!


Apparently these brilliant flowers in red and fuchsia are the late blooming Plumleaf Azalea which only occurs in nature in an 11 county range along the Alabama and Georgia border.

I tried very hard to get a shot of this orange and black hornet... a color combination that I don't see in nature very often. The hornet was my daughters' high school mascot and their school colors were orange and black!

There were some lovely perennials and annuals showing off in the more formal gardens.





And, of course, a sunflower!

The quilt garden was filled with butterflies...

And, we'll end with a nice pine cone.

Yes, there's always something beautiful to see at the Arboretum!




No comments:

Post a Comment