March 8, 2017

For the love of pansies...



The Face

Coyly smiling at the sun                           
with brightly colored face,                           
a demeanor quietly homespun                    
garlanded with ruffled grace;                    

wherever planted, sheds crisp cheer      
all about the garden plot,                    
sophisticated peers may proudly sneer;             
bravely, she smiles on from her spot.                    

Determined through the winter cold      
to continue blooming by the walk,      
I love to see her shining there;                    
oh, if that simple face could talk!             

There are others, I confess,                           
who possess more glorious flair;             
but, to me, in all the world of flowers      
to the pansy they cannot compare.      

Copyright, August 11, 2016      

Faye Lanham Gibson




Last week I finally planted some pansies in some of the containers on my back deck and I am thoroughly enjoying their colorful "faces." 
Mine are still such babies, but they will tolerate the occasional frost we still will likely get (and even snow, if necessary) and I should be able to enjoy them until the planters are ready for summer flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment