April 2, 2017

A Quick Finish!

In mid-February we went to the 30th Annual National Arts & Crafts Conference Show at the Grove Park Inn.

It's an amazing event featuring antiques from the "Arts and Crafts" or Craftsman era as well as all manner of things made by contemporary "makers" of items in that style.

This year Russ bought me a kit to make a pillow, selecting this nice design featuring pinecones and pine needles. For me, it was a quick finish, from a bag of loose materials to a finished product in less than 2 months!
I worked on it primarily during my winter TV viewing time.

The other day I finished it and now I think it looks pretty much at home on my Morris chair.

It only required satin stitch for the pine cones and a chain stitch for the needles. The linen has a very coarse burlap-like texture. The back of the pillow, which was also provided in the kit, is a dark brown finer weave linen.

This isn't the first pillow kit I have completed from this company, www.TextileStudio.com. At the A&C festival three or four years ago, I purchased a kit for myself. Again, I started the embroidery immediately and worked on it throughout the summer during many outdoor music events. I finished the embroidery, and then due to my tendency toward procrastination, I folded it up and put it away.

The next year when I saw the price tags on some completed pillows, I figured I had better find my project and finish it and put it to use.

This pillow design is a little more elaborate, but nothing requiring great embroidery skill. I liked the sage green linen background and backing and the acorn/oak leaf design.

The pillow now resides on the East Lake rocker in my living room.

If you like the A & C look, you might consider going to the 31st National Arts & Crafts Conference which will be held at the Grove Park Inn on February 16-18, 2018.
Arts-CraftsConference.com or ArtsAndCraftsCollector.com for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment