January 25, 2014

Do you know what a silky is?

Last week Maggie asked if I might make a silky for little R.  It seems he likes to rub something on his face when he settles down to sleep.  Typically, what is at hand is his burp cloth, which is really a repurposed old-fashioned cloth diaper.  She thought it would be nice if he had something cool, smooth, pleasant and made for this purpose... and informed me that such "lovies" were referred to as "silkies."

So, I did an internet search and found a variety of little mini-blankets, ranging in size from about 14 inches square to 28x36 inches.  Generally they were made from satin (for it's smooth silky feel) and then something like fleece, flannel or some other fluffier fabric for contrast and likely stability, as well.  Seemed like an easy enough project!

I already had some cream colored minky cloth on hand.  For those of you who might not know what that is, it's a very soft, fuzzy, textured knit that I thought would be perfect for the non-silky side of the blankie.  I made a trip to the fabric store and bought a yard each of a deep pink and a blue satin that had a bit of flannel fiber on the back.  Having worked with slippery satin in the past, I figured that if one side had a little "traction" it might make things easier, and it did.  I decided on making my silkies 18x24 inches.  I could easily get two of each color out of the single yard pieces, allowing for a nice deep fold-over binding.  I also had enough minky cloth for four blankies this size.  I also decided to put a layer of batting in each.  Since these items are likely to need frequent washing, I just thought that the batting would help support the stitching and give them a little firmer feel.

So, here they are:

                 





 


 
... and a close up to show the nice texture in the minky cloth.





I hope little R and little A like them!











And here I am, trying them out...
... they do feel nice!  Perhaps I need to make one for myself!







1 comment:

  1. I didn't know what it was called, but I knew that combination of smooth and squishy soft was highly desired in a little one's blanket - yours look especially comfy on both the soft and the smooth factors - and you had fun modeling them too!

    ReplyDelete