June 19, 2014

Something Else for the Twins

Recently I blogged about my grandmother's childhood rocking chair that I was bringing to Anja when we travel there for her first birthday.  I'm sure she will let Ronan use it, too, but as the next female in the lineage, the rocking chair, if it survives, will be hers to pass on in the next generation.

Here is another item from my childhood that I'm bringing to my grandchildren.


This doll crib was made by my father for probably my second Christmas.  

It is a facsimile of the crib that my older brother and then I slept in as infants.  I think he made our actual crib, too, but that is long gone and wouldn't conform to any modern standards anyway. 
My first thought was to paint this white to resemble Anja and Ronan's modern cribs, but when I looked at it, I realized that the finish was is pretty good shape, the decals were pretty much in tact, and it just had a nice vintage feel to me.  Or maybe I am just sentimental.  

If you look to the bottom left of the decal, you can see a line of tiny stickers that spell out 
"M-A-G-G-I-E."  I removed some other random stickers when I washed this crib today, but I decided to leave the MAGGIE since it is going to her children.

I had the original mattress and pillow, so I covered them both with a removable fabric cover... I had the fabric, a rather gender neutral juvenile print with alphabet letters and items that baby could identify.


If you look at this picture of the crib, you will see that it has a side rail that goes up and down, just like real cribs back in the day.  Anja and Ronan's cribs don't have that detail.  In their cribs, the mattress can be raised and lowered.

I had enough of the fabric to make a coordinating crib size blanket and a larger square doll blanket.


Here is the crib with the teddy bear that was on the rocking chair.  That way you can see the size better.  It's a perfect size for a typical baby doll.


Anja and Ronan are probably still a little small to be playing with baby dolls, but I like the idea that they will have a few things that their mother and I played with when we were children.









1 comment:

  1. As someone who is buried in 19th Century Family Letters, you can imagine this story really warmed my heart! What a lovely thing - and even better that your father made it!

    ReplyDelete