August 7, 2014

AS SEEN ON GC (golf course)


Today was a really nice day to play golf.  We were at the course by about 8 AM, which seemed early, but really it was the perfect time to start.  It was a little overcast and cool at the start, but there was no one on hole #1 and no one else seemed ready to tee off, so we coasted through the 18 holes in record time with no one ahead to slow us down and no one pushing us from behind.  The course also appeared to have been freshly mowed and I think was in remarkably great condition.  
I had my two golf buddies with me.
The first one, of course, was Russ.
The second one is the Golf Buddy that rides on the visor of my cap.
That little square device is a GPS unit and she talks to me, tells me what hole I'm playing and tells me how many yards it is to the center of the green!  I try to remember to bring her every time we play.
On hole #14 there was an unusual growth of fungi that I just had to show you.  
The bright orange-yellow was visible from a long distance away and I wondered what could be piled up on the edge of the fairway.  As we got closer, the individual clusters visually separated and we could see that it was some sort of mushroom clustering around an area where there had once been a tree.  Each of the mounds were about the size of a large cauliflower, maybe even bigger.
                                      
Russ remembered seeing this last year, but I don't think I have ever seen this particular variety of fungus.  I thought this last picture resembled a pile of pancakes!
                                            
You never know what you are going to find on the golf course!
By the way, I did find three pars today, which is remarkable in itself!


1 comment:

  1. Does the wee Golf Buddy get credit for those pars? Those are some of the most colorful fungal-flowers I've seen!

    ReplyDelete