September 12, 2014

Bear Mail

I came back from our week in Beacon/Fishkill/Hudson Valley with lots of things to blog about.  It's just that I've been sort of busy and haven't had time to organize my thoughts or photos.  So I thought I would start with something easy and fun.

We rented a cabin on a small private lake and each morning Russ would go out for a run.  It's not unusual for him to find interesting things on his running route, so I wasn't surprised when he told me that he saw a mailbox I just had to see.  He wouldn't give me any details, preferring to surprise me.

Well, it was certainly the most elaborate and unusual mailbox I had ever seen.  He knows I am fascinated with chainsaw art and this was really the ultimate example of that, as far as I was concerned.

Here it is from one side:

 And from the equally interesting other side:
Mama bear seems to be guarding the mailbox:
 At the top, near the back of the owl's nest, are two playful grey squirrels:
 On the back of the tree, a cub is exploring a bee hive... or maybe it's a hornet's nest!
 And here's the grand owl sitting on it's nest!

I wonder if the artist lives here?
I'm kind of thinking my plain white regulation mailbox needs an upgrade.

1 comment: