September 30, 2014

A Few Projects

Summer is not the most productive time in my sewing room, but I have a few little projects I can share with you today.
 Last spring at my quilt retreat, I pieced together the top of this little baby quilt.  Nora had given me a charm pack that I mixed with solid white and yellow kona cotton to form half square triangles and then the HSTs were made into pinwheels and the pinwheels were put together to make this little baby blanket.
A couple months ago I found a backing fabric I liked.

And then just recently I quilted it and added a yellow binding.  It's a nice small size, good to tuck around a baby in the stroller, a nice size for an impromptu changing mat, and I guess it would even be a good nursery school or kindergarten blanket, if children still bring those things to school these days.
I'm not sure who will eventually own it. 
I still struggle with the quilting, but I am pretty satisfied with this simple stippling.  It's far from perfect, but when I washed it, it crinkled up nicely.  I like that look!

Last week I made this simple table runner.
My friend Barb had given me the kit for it (pattern, fabric, and special ruler) as part of my birthday present this year and I wanted to get it done while there were still some flowers in the garden.  I think the colors and the late summer sunflowers and mums in the fabric suggest this time of year.  
I was a little disappointed with the binding, my points are not very crisp.  I even considered picking it all off and redoing it, but then, fortunately, I was overtaken by reason!  
It is an easy pattern and I can perfect my binding when I make the next one.

Lastly, I made some simple fabric dolls for my twins.
I love the cute little embroidered faces.

I gave them belly buttons.
But I think they look cute in their velcro-closed diapers.  I hope the twins enjoy them!

Last weekend was our quilt guild show, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I'm not much of a "vendor spender" but I did break down and purchase a grab bag of Cherrywood Hand Dyed Fabrics.  The bag contained 56 assorted pieces, each about 8 x 10, and each a unique color. 
Here they are arranged on my table, somewhat grouped by color family.
They are pretty to just look at!  
But I hope very soon they will be working their way into some projects. 
What would you make with them?



1 comment:

  1. Wow you've been a busy sewer and grandmother! The dolls are adorable and I love the baby-quilt and table runner. I woud probably have to add something printed or handdyed with more texture to those Cherrywoods - I think someone who knew what they were doing with their more sueded-solid look would think I ruined them though! The way you have them arranged, I suspect a modern quilter would see something very simple with squares or rectangles on a plain neutral field, channel quilting and a stunning modern quilt.

    ReplyDelete