October 6, 2014

What I Saw at the Beach!

Whales!
Actually, this was the wallpaper in our hotel bathroom.  I took this picture at night with the light on and the colors came out wrong.  It actually had a white background with little blue and beige whales.  I remembered how much I used to like this simple kind of wallpaper in bathrooms.  Now it seems rather dated, but the hotel was really quite up to date.  It was very comfortable and this was the view I had from our front windows and deck:
It is called "Lighthouse View" and this is the referenced lighthouse:
Hatteras Lighthouse, which is a very pretty lighthouse, but I couldn't actually see it from my deck.  It was about a quarter of a mile away.  Hatteras Light is really in Buxton, NC, about 12 miles north of Hatteras Village which is the very end of the island where the road ends.  
So last Saturday morning, I went to Hatteras Village and walked on the beach.
Here's my selfie to prove I was there.  I saw most of the usual things you see on a beach walk, a few jelly fish, skate pods, not too much human litter, and the shells there were interesting, but fragmented from the surf.
I didn't see even one intact shell the whole time!
There was lots of stuff like this:

I was excited to see the remains of a horseshoe crab:
But then a little ways away there was a whole collection of them that someone had collected and arranged:
This is just a portion of the display.  I guess yesterday's high tide surf was not a good one for horseshoe crabs!
And then it wouldn't be a true beach walk if you didn't come across a fish out of water.  This one had been out of water for a while, but he was still impressive!
I should have stuck my foot in there for reference because this fish head was pretty darn large... I'm saying like 10 inches from snout to gill.  
There were kite surfers on the ocean.  I didn't take any pictures of them, but there were interesting land kites, as well.  I particularly liked this large orange fish kite.

But the best thing that I saw was Russ, finishing his 500 mile bike ride across the state.  Here he is posing by the finish line!
The End!






1 comment:

  1. This reads like a picture book. Let's call it "Anna-Banana-At the Beach." Nice story!!

    ReplyDelete