December 26, 2014

I just love Pansies!

A couple of weeks ago I planted some pansies in containers, thinking that they would look cheerful on my deck this winter.  Until I moved south, I wasn't really aware of how resilient pansies are.  Of course in the below zero temps of the north, under a foot of snow cover, they might not be survivors, but in North Carolina they tend to add a bit of color throughout the winter.

We had one of those clear cloudless nights and as I sat in the sun room enjoying breakfast on the clear cool morning today, I noticed that we had a particularly heavy frost last night.

Here is what my pansies looked like, heavily frosted in the morning sun:



 We spent the day golfing.  There was a heavy frost at the golf course as well, causing a little delay.  And there were spots of frost in the shadows on most of the first seven holes or so.  But by noon we had removed our jackets and it even felt warm in our light sweaters.  Of course, I didn't think of checking on the pansies until it was almost dusk, but I'm glad I remembered to take some pictures to show you how nice they looked once they warmed up!



Don't they look happy after a day in the sun!  Actually, we looked happy, too, after a day in the sun!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wrong that an insult meant to call someone a weakling is "pansy"??

    ReplyDelete