December 26, 2014

Twice the Fun!

Now that the Christmas gifting is over, I can share with you one of the projects that occupied my time this fall.
As a bit of background, one of my sewing/quilting bee friends, Chris Z., brought a felt appliqué project to show off at a bee meeting early this fall, or perhaps it was even late in the summer.  Chris followed the Crab-apple Design "Frost Flowers" exactly, doing her usual exceptional appliqué of wool shapes on a linen background and embellishing it with beads so that it was an exact replica of the pattern picture.  (I believe that the pattern was designed to be a pillow top.)
I was immediately attracted to the design, since it featured a basket (I love baskets) of flowers that were actually stylized snowflakes.  I immediately thought of my friend Barb, who also is a basket maker, and who loves anything related to snow.  I did not especially want to invest in linen and wool felt and thought I could adapt the design and recreate it as a wall quilt in cottons.  As I started to gather my materials with the intention of making this for Barb for Christmas, I realized that it was something that I would like as well.  So soon I was doing every step in duplicate!
So here are the two finished pieces:
They each measure about 16 inches by 16 inches.  I had originally planned to do them on a blue background because Barb loves blue, but when I went to the fabric store I couldn't find a blue combination that I really liked and I thought the green would give the piece a more seasonal feel... or maybe a warmer feel.  Barb is the snow lover, I am not!
Here is a view of one of the pieces:
I'm not sure if this is Barb's or mine.  Like identical twins, there are some subtle differences that only a mother would notice, so I could compare this to the one on my wall and see if it is mine or hers.  But I don't really care.  
And here is a close up so you can see some detail:
The construction is primarily fused raw edge appliqué that has been overstitched with various decorative stitches that are programmed in my sewing machine.  Originally I had planned to do some more hand embroidery, but once I got going with my sewing machine, things started to fall into place easily.  I ended up adding a layer of felt on the snowflake flowers because I thought the sparkly white cotton flowers looked a little too transparent.  Once I made the decision to add the felt layer I realized that it also created a nice texture and really made the flowers pop.  I did add some extra bling with tiny pearls nested on iridescent sequins to give the flowers a little sparkle.  The original pattern also had a few hand embroidered snowflakes, but I found these snowflake buttons that I also think gives the background a little more texture and interest.  
So it was a fun project from start to finish.  I'm always delighted when I get something done, as I am much better at thinking up projects and starting them than I am at finishing.  It does help me to have a firm deadline!
So a couple of weeks ago, I hung my "Frost Flowers" on the 
thermostat wall in my dining room.  It's a small section of wall that has a couple of shelves and I think the wall hanging looks nice tucked under the bottom shelf.
Yesterday, after opening her Christmas presents, Barb immediately hung her "Frost Flowers" in a space in her sunroom between two windows.
She sent me this picture.
It's a perfect fit!



1 comment:

  1. Your Felt on Cotton snow-flowers embellished with stitching are perfect! The snowflake buttons do add a pretty dimension as well and the baskets look like some amount of work you didn't even mention - the background with the two greens is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete