January 30, 2015

Earlier this month...

I went to Florida.

We always stop at the Florida Welcome Center to take a photo and have a cup of orange juice.  In spite of what the sign said, we didn't see much sunshine on this trip.  The weather was disappointingly cool, cloudy and rainy.  No need for sun screen and no opportunity to walk on the beach.
But we did spend nice, quality time with family and friends, went to a classic car show, browsed and shopped at the Daytona Flea Market, ate seafood, and we golfed three times, even if the weather was less than ideal.
And I got to see a quilt I made!
 I don't remember blogging about this particular project, so I will share it with you now.  It's always nice to see something I made being used and enjoyed.
My brother-in-law is a retired corrections officer.  A couple summer's ago we happened to visit his NYS home and I saw a pile of his old CO uniform shirts about to be recycled.  On impulse, I offered to take some and reuse the fabric to make him a quilt.  
The reclaimed fabric was various shades of light blue and so I combined strips of the shirt fabric with a few deeper blue/teal cottons in a simple rail fence type of pattern.  I added a few of his sleeve patches to some of the blocks.
Here are a couple more photos of the whole quilt, which is a lap quilt size.

I was able to piece together some of the larger shirt back pieces of fabric to use as a backing fabric and just made a fold over binding.  On the back you can really see the subtle differences in the shades of shirt fabric.
So it's nice to think that this quilt is at home in his beautiful Florida house.
I took a couple pictures of that location.  Here is his street, a nice new development of mostly single story homes.
And for this picture I was standing in his lanai, showing the small faux lake in his backyard.
It was a pleasant place to while away a winter week!  






1 comment:

  1. What a terrific gift you made of those t-shirts and patches!! Best part of this photo-recap of your visit to the non-Sunshine state. Still, you made me thirsty for a fresh squeezed orange....

    ReplyDelete