February 1, 2015

A Table Runner for Maggie

It's always nice to finish a project.
This project was started last October, after I purchased some mylar hexies from a dealer at the Asheville Quilt Show.  I like to have some hand sewing to do while watching TV, and English paper piecing, or I guess this would be English mylar piecing, is pretty ideal.
So I started by making some batik hexagon "flowers" without a real project in mind.  After I started linking a few together, I decided on this:

I cleaned off my dining room table so that I could photograph it for you.  It's always a treat to have a clean table top.  My dining room table seems to accumulate mail, coupons, items traveling from one end of the house to the other, really just lots of random things.
You can see the reflection of the overhead light on the table top, because while it was decluttered I also polished it!
This close up of one end shows some of the colorful fabrics off nicely.  You can't really see the quilting because most of it was done "in the ditch."  
The colors were just chosen randomly from fabric I had on hand, including some batik charm squares I had been given as a gift.  
One thing I learned from this is that I should have taken some time to research how to better bind those obtuse angles.  As I was doing my hand sewing I realized that they were impossible to make as flat as I would have liked.  I'm sure there is a trick I could have learned on a website or youtube video to make them a bit more perfect.  Next time!
I like to include a photo that shows the backing fabric, which I also had on hand.
And I tucked a label in one corner, catching it under the binding, using a technique I learned from my friend, Alice.
In a couple of weeks this table runner will go to live in Maine.  Until then, I put one of my yellow depression glass bowls on it and I will enjoy it on my sparkling dining room table for a few days!

2 comments:

  1. It's a fact: Horizontal surfaces collect random items. The table runner is so colorful and cheerful - well worth the table prep to show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sie können die Reflexion des Oberlicht auf der Tischplatte zu sehen, denn während es decluttered war ich poliert es auch!

    fifa-munzen

    FIFA Münzen

    ReplyDelete