March 27, 2015

Everyone Loves a Scottie!

This is my "donation" to the Quilt Alliance annual contest.

As the contest specifies, it is 16 inches square and I think relates obviously to this year's theme, "Animals We Love."

It's a pretty traditional pattern of pieced blocks and half square triangles, and I adapted it from many variations available by googling "scottie dog quilt block images."

I made it from fabrics in my stash.  My first thought was to find a black, white and red plaid for the bow and the border, but a quick look at a couple of fabric and craft stores, as well as a quick internet search brought no useable results.  So I looked at what I had and worked with that.

I'm pleased with the result.  I did have to purchase rick rack.

I think the red rick rack trim really complements the red bow and the "sort of plaid" border fabric gives it that hint of Scottish look that we associate with this dog breed.

If you are not familiar with the Quilt Alliance or their annual contest, you can check out www.allianceforamericanquilts.org.  It's an organization that documents, preserves and shares quilts, so if you care about quilts, it is a nice organization to support.

Here are a couple more shots to show some details.

I was happy to sew on the sleeve during my sewing bee yesterday and deliver the quilt to the QA office later in the day... well before the May 1st deadline!

Now I have to tell you that my original plan was to adapt this photo into my quilt submission.
It was my emotional favorite because it shows three of the animals my granddaughter loves, sitting in my grandmother's childhood rocking chair.  I think it would have made a nice quilt.  But it would have been a lot more complicated and time-consuming to construct and I did have a deadline and several other projects demanding my attention.

So, I hope the Scottie dog has more universal appeal and that it will raise some money for the QA when it is auctioned off later this year!


1 comment:

  1. Everyone is going to love this quilt for sure - but I am going to bet a couple of Scottie owners or people with a sentimental attachment to one will be the ones to get into a fight over the bidding on it. Need to advertise it where they'll see it.... All your details are perfect on this!

    ReplyDelete