March 20, 2015

Welcome Spring!

Happy 1st Day of Spring!


 A couple of days ago we went golfing at "our" course, the Asheville "Muni," now known as the Asheville Golf Course.  Because of travel and bad weather, it had been nearly 6 weeks since I had been there and I was pleased to see that everything was greening up.  So I decided to feature some photos I took as my homage to spring this year!


I don't usually include a picture of myself, but I did agree to get photographed in front of the nice display of daffodils in front of the club house.


It was a somewhat chilly and cloudy start to the round, but it's nice to see the fairways greening up again.  I took this picture because I really wanted to draw attention to the mahogany cast around the trees in the distance.  Here's a better view:

I love when the buds are prominent enough to color the branches like this!  Maybe the next time I play this hole there will be tiny green-gold leaves emerging!

We saw and heard many birds and, of course, the geese are back.  Geese just love golf courses!


In my search for color, I found some berries.  I'm not sure, but maybe this evergreen shrub is some sort of holly.  I was surprised that the berries were still so plentiful!


The golf course staff was busy pruning and shaping trees and picking up brush.


 This large, tall stand of trees borders on an intersection of Swannanoah River Road and probably was threatening power lines.  I imagine it is gone by now.  That was a big job!


We do get some pretty views as we play... this is looking down the 5th fairway with mountains in the distance.


As you can see, the clouds were breaking up and by the end of the round we were comfortable in short sleeved shirts.
The views on the back 9 are really prettier.  Here's the view from the 18th where the mountains appear closer.


It wouldn't be spring without a few dandelions, but they are hard to find on the golf course.  Here's a stray one.


Hole #11 was closed because they are doing extensive work on the irrigation system on the back 9.  They are closing one hole at a time until they get it done.  You can see the equipment in the distance where they are digging around the green.


On hole # 14, there is a garden planted right next to the women's tee and I saw these hyacinths in bloom.  There is some weather damage to the leaves, but the flowers are beautiful!


If I had waited a couple days, I would have been able to show you the forsythia that is now in bloom, as well as tulips... seems I notice something new everyday this time of year!
Happy Spring!



1 comment:

  1. All the photos are pretty, but it's a pleasant surprise to see our narrator in a photo now and then!

    ReplyDelete