May 17, 2015

Two more little quilts... done!

Just a short post today to show you two small quilts I recently finished.  (It's always worth celebrating when I actually finish something!)  The quilt tops were both sewn at the quilt retreat I went to in April, so it's especially remarkable that I finished them both in the last month!


I received a charm pack (5 inch squares) of the colorful pieces (Benartex Fossil Fern) from my daughter at Christmas and I paired them with 5 inch squares of cream colored Kona to make this "disappearing nine-patch" lattice pattern.

I backed it with a colorful print of whimsical birds and flowers.


The dimensions of this quilt are 42x48 which is large enough to be sent to Quilts Beyond Borders.  QBB will then send the quilt somewhere in the world where it is needed by a child, usually a country that has some upheaval, a natural disaster, or lots of poverty and many orphans.  I like to think that my quilt will become a child's precious possession and provide them with much needed warmth and comfort.

The next quilt is a little smaller and is also made with 5 inch charm squares.  Many of these squares came my way through a couple of charm square exchanges I participated in over the last few years.  This quilt is called "I Spy Hugs and Kisses" because each of the colored pieces contain some recognizable images and they are arranged in a pattern of X's and O's.


I did my best to sort the squares by color so you could see the X's and O's.  This quilt is meant to engage children in finding objects, numbers, and colors... "How many dogs do you see?  I spy an octopus, do you?  What color is the pepper?"... You get the idea.  

I was able to find a backing fabric with wiggly lines, so quilting it was just a matter of following every third line!


I'm not sure where this quilt will end up.  Perhaps it would be a good quilt for our guild's annual gift to every local baby born on National Quilt Day.  National Quilt Day has recently passed, so I have a while to think about that.  In the meantime, I am anxious to try it out on my almost two year old grandchildren when they visit next month.


3 comments: