June 28, 2016

Pillows for the Twins!

How can it be possible? Anja and Ronan are turning 3 in just a few days!

When they visited a couple weeks ago, I noticed that their mother allowed them to have pillows in the Pack and Plays they slept in. (They will need different sleeping arrangements next time they visit, but were still very accepting of the P & P this time.)

Coincidentally, I also noticed that a local store sold "Children's size" pillows.



So, I bought a couple and then went fabric shopping to make some pillowcases to fit these pillows that are about 2/3 the size of standard pillows.

I adapted a great pillowcase pattern I used earlier this year when some of us from our bee made pillowcases for homeless kids in the area. I may have done a blog posting about that, but if I didn't, I should have. Another bit of evidence that I'm not too serious a blogger is that I should insert the link to the pattern right here... but instead I will just suggest that you google "burrito pillowcase tutorial" if you are interested and I'm sure you will find it easily.

The neat thing about this method for sewing pillowcases is that all the raw edge seams are finished like French seams, so it makes a very neat, professional looking pillowcase.

The only thing cuter than 3 year old twins is the stinking cute fabrics to choose from. Originally I had planned to make two for each pillow, but then I thought I ought to pick up a piece of sale fabric to try out my modifications, and then of course, I needed to make yet another so there would be an even number.

The first pair feature an ocean scene for Ronan... they live by the ocean and love to spend time on the beach.


 Anja's features little birds, because nearly from birth she was nicknamed "Bird."


Then there were two color ways of this cute print with bees and lady bugs. Twins "need" to have some things that are sort of "matchy-matchy." Right?



And finally, Thomas the Train for Ronan...


and some owls for Bird, who for a long time has been fond of "who whos" and I think she will especially like the pink owls!


Just one more picture:


Now I'm not sure if they will really be allowed to use the pillows in bed or if they will even choose to sleep on them, but they will certainly enjoy removing the pillowcases and filling them with assorted toys! 

And I enjoyed making them, which is really the goal of any sewing project.



No comments:

Post a Comment