April 19, 2010

A Little Hanky Panky


This is a 16 inch quilt that I made for the Alliance for American Quilts "New from Old" contest/fund-raiser.
It's made from five old, somewhat color-coordinated handkerchiefs that I had saved for a long time. I challenged myself to only use things I already had at home to make this. It is embellished with some embroidery, beads, sequins and buttons, and I used some gross-grain ribbon I had to cover up some edges and create a frame. To go along with the "old" theme, I even backed it with part of a used flour sack dish towel that my grandmother embroidered probably 50 years ago. I named it "Hanky Panky."
For being so small, it was a pretty time-consuming project. I was glad to submit it to AAQ last week, because I was getting tired of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment