April 19, 2010

My Blue Ridge Parkway Quilt block


The Asheville Quilt Guild is making a quilt to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall. I volunteered to make a 16 x 20 inch block showing one of my favorite spring wildflowers, the lady slipper.
We were given one of the pale blue background fabrics as the common element to be used in all of the quilt blocks.
I adapted my design from a photo I found online and I used hand dyed silk organza and crepe for the ground, the leaves and the flowers. Since there was so much sky, I pieced a background of similar blues to add interest.
I dyed the silk fabrics at a class I took at John C. Campbell Folk School this spring.
The quilt, which will be made up of 17 various sized blocks created by 17 different people will be completed by September and will be displayed at the Folk Art Center at milepost 382 of the BRP.
I liked the idea of being part of a cooperative project, the challenge of designing and creating a block for this project, and I was especially pleased with the way the organza layers created the ground for the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment