January 28, 2012

Craftsy Block of the Month

Craftsy Block of the Month

I'm doing the Craftsy Block of the Month. I was trying to get this logo on my sidebar, but as you can see, I haven't figured out exactly how to do that yet. So, until I figure it out, it will stay in this post, I guess. (It also seems to be changing my font, but I can live with that!)



These are the January blocks. The first one is the Asterisk Block and the second one is the Wonky Pound Sign Block.

The idea is that all the blocks for the year will fit together to make a scrappy modern sampler quilt. I wasn't so sure that I liked the idea of a scrappy sampler quilt, so I have decided I will do each of the monthly blocks in a combination of colors that I like and turn them into smaller quilts that I can use to practice some free motion quilting with.


The Wonky Pound Sign was supposed to have narrower strips, but I made them the same 2 inch (1 1/2 inch finished) size as the Asterisk, just because I thought they looked better a little wider. Since this is my interpretation of the Craftsy Block of the Month, I will feel free to modify wherever I want.


Now, I did enjoy making the Asterisk Block, so I made it in all the color combinations below. I will put this together into a single quilt that I can practice my free motion quilting on. I'm not sure if this will be the layout, but it will be something similar and I am thinking of putting 1 inch sashing between the blocks, likely in black.
I was feeling pretty good about my progress on this, as I am a master of unfinished projects. However, I just checked the calendar page and it is already January 29th. Yikes! In three more days the tutorial will be posted for the February blocks!



No comments:

Post a Comment