January 17, 2012

I made a preemie quilt!

After our quilt guild meeting today we had a work party to make community quilts.

Kits were provided for us to make "preemie quilts." These little quilts, measuring about 2 feet by 2 1/2 feet, go home with the baby after he/she "graduates" from their stay in the hospital.

The kit I chose seemed to be boy-oriented with sports balls and the blue backing. I went with just a random "scrappy" layout and didn't realize until I was working on the final row that I was a block short. I found a piece of fabric similar to the yellow... it's got a little more brown in it. Can you see it?

It's at the lower bottom corner. I guess because the printed fabrics are so busy, the mis-matched fabric doesn't draw the eye. The fabrics are all flannels, so it is a cozy little blanket.


It was a perfect little project for the time we spent there. It's nice when you can complete a project in one sitting, and it's nice to not have to remember to get it done before the next meeting!


We have a dedicated group of volunteers who store, sort and cut the fabric and put them together into kits. Who could resist making something like this now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment